The Benedictine Priory of St James was established just outside the medieval city of Bristol in 1129AD. Two areas were excavated: Site 1 to the east of the Priory church, and Site 2 to the west. The Priory was largely destroyed during the Dissolution of 1540, but the area around Site 1 remained in use during the 17th and 18th centuries as housing was built there. Site 2 was in use from the late Saxon period to the 20th century. This publication presents the results of excavations carried out at Site 1 from 1989 and 1995, and from Site 2 from 1994 and '95, along with those obtained from a watching brief, kept during landscaping work in 1997. There are also specific chapters on finds and burials.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: St James's Priory
Chapter 3: The St James's Priory 'East End' Excavation Report (Site 1)
Chapter 4: The St James's Priory 'West Front' Excavation Report (Site 2)
Chapter 5: The Burials
Chapter 6: The Finds
Chapter 7: Discussion