This book gives answers to the question: where does the visual splendor of Visconti’s films come from?
“This book, apart from showing a long-standing passion and fidelity, gives us one of the most original international researches ever produced on Visconti’s work. Through thorough archival research and numerous interviews with people close to Visconti such as his crew members, Ivo Blom’s monograph reveals the extraordinary network of iconographic and cultural connections that unite Visconti’s work, expose Visconti’s cinematographic signature and link different historic events with crucial moments in Visconti’s personal life.” – Gian Piero Brunetta (Università di Padova)
CLUES is an international scientific series covering research in the field of culture, history and heritage which have been written by, or were performed under the supervision of members of the research institute CLUE+.
I. Pictorial Citation, Art Direction, and Costume Design in Visconti’s Films
1. Pictorial Citation: Il Bacio and Other Citations in Senso
2. Archaeology of the Set (I): Greuze and The Leopard
3. Archaeology of the Set (II): The Conversation Pieces in Conversation Piece
4. The (Photo) Portrait and the Remembrance of Things Past
5. Costume and Painting in Senso
6. Costume: Veiling, Unveiling and Revealing with Visconti
II. Staging, Framing and Mirroring in Visconti’s Films
7. Staging in Depth: Objects and People
8. Framing: Doors, Windows, and Anti-framing
9. Mobile Framing and Visual Explorations
10. Mirrors: Awkward Confrontations